Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I've been racking my brain for rules for this new project: not that I'm having trouble making up rules, or funneling previous project ideas into this, but making sure all 5 rules flow together organically.  3 rules is easy, 5 gets a bit tricky.  Here's what I've come up with:

Rule 1: Shoot in B/W film.  Getting the technical out of the way, I've really neglected using film, as much as I love it.  Also need to take my time with the shots, bring a tripod for that crisp clear focus, which leads to
Rule 2: I get one shot per pass.  This will be clear in a moment
Rule 3: Start with a street head up in the hills of west Ashland.  Plan on walking downhill.  The goal here is to be patient, take my time, continually analyze my surroundings, because this is where rule 2 comes into play: I'm only going to take one shot per 'trip'.  I'm not even going to take multiple attempts at the same shot: gotta make it count.  This amounts to 30-some walks.  And to make every trip different,
Rule 4: Every intersection will be determined by coin flip.  I normally take the path least taken, or the one that feels more interesting, but if I repeat start points I want these paths to be different.  And the paths play an integral part of the work too, because the final 5 I choose will be overlaid with a copper wire path that traces my steps with GPS.
Rule 5: errata; don't make plants the subject (to break away from my favorites), don't use accent lines along the 1/3 rule, push boundaries and the edge of what makes some photographs "comfortable", especially because the wire shape will block some of the image.

End result would ideally by physical, and I will probably print and frame some of these, but in the meantime I'll scan the wire shape and digitally overlay it onto the film scan.  This could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment